You Won’t Regret a Single Bite of These Mini Slow-Cooker Lamb Tacos
Slow-Cooker Lamb Mini Tacos:
- 1 teaspoon dried rosemary
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 tablespoon kosher salt
- 2 teaspoons freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 (2kg) whole semi-boneless leg of lamb
- 3 large shallots, sliced
- 5 garlic cloves
- 4 cups lager beer
- 16 corn tortillas, warmed
- lime wedges, for serving
Roasted Tomatillo and Green Apple Salsa:
- 500g tomatillos* (about 12), husked, and rinsed
- 2 Granny Smith apples, quartered, and cored
- 1/2 medium white onion
- 2 jalapeños, stemmed
- 2 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt, plus more for seasoning
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper, plus more for seasoning
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- 2 to 3 tablespoons water (optional)
*For a tomatillo substitute, buy underripe tomatoes and add a squeeze of lime juice.
- Preheat the oven to 200°C.
- Combine the rosemary, oregano, salt, pepper, and olive oil in a small bowl and stir. Rub the mixture all over the lamb and transfer to a slow cooker.
- Add the shallots and garlic and pour the beer around the lamb.
- Cover and cook on high for 5 hours, or until the lamb is fork-tender.
- While the meat is cooking, make the salsa. Place the tomatillos, apples, onion, jalapeños, and garlic on a rimmed baking sheet. Toss with the olive oil, salt, and pepper. Roast until the tomatillos are softened and slightly charred, about 20 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and peel the garlic. Let the roasted vegetable mixture cool slightly.
- Transfer the vegetables and roasted garlic to a blender, add the cilantro, and process until smooth. Add the water, 1 tablespoon at a time, to help blend, if necessary.
- Season the salsa to taste with salt and pepper, transfer to a serving bowl, and serve.
- With the slow cooker still on high, remove the lamb and transfer it to a platter. Shred the meat, discarding any bones. Return the shredded lamb to the slow cooker and cook for 1 hour more.
- Preheat the broiler.
- Turn off the slow cooker and, using tongs, transfer the lamb to a large cast-iron skillet. Reserve the juices in the slow cooker for serving.
- Broil the lamb until crispy (about 7 minutes).
- Pour the reserved juices over the lamb and serve immediately with the tortillas, roasted tomatillo and green apple salsa, and lime wedges.
Original Recipe by Brit+Co.