If you like spring rolls with that addictingly delicious sweet dipping sauce…
Super excited to introduce you to great bowl recipe which is loaded with good things like rice noodles, sweet garlic lime sauce, peanuts, rainbow veggies, and mint /basil /cilantro, and it’s a summer winner!
Firstly – it’s important for a recipe that features fish sauce, to say: DO NOT SNIFF THE BOTTLE.
Fish sauce is that deliciously mysterious substance that smells deathly but, no, for real – it tastes like magic when combined with the right friends: lime juice, brown sugar, garlic, and the other usual suspects. Today is our day to be the fish-sauce-charmers who bring out the best and only the best of the fish sauce, and that means, above all else, do not let the urge to just check if it still smells as bad as it did last time get the best of you. IT STILL SMELLS JUST AS BAD, OKAY?
The herbs, on the other hand, smell better than ever because of spring! new life! The mint and cilantro and basil together – it’s literal food heaven to combine the cool freshness of that herb trio with the saltiness and tang of the sauce.
We are in that sad season of Minnesota life where buying basil means paying $4 for that little plastic package with basically three single basil leaves in it – but we are fast approaching the time where fresh herbs (basil included!) are becoming more readily available in more than three-leaf packages, at which point I will obviously reduce myself to living solely on the lushness of these flavour-packed spring roll bowls – you know, in order to live seasonally. I can take one for the team on this.
for the sweet garlic lime sauce:
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1/4 cup agave or brown sugar
- 1/4 cup fish sauce
- 1/3 cup lime juice
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
for the bowls:
- Rice Noodles
- Basil, Mint, and Cilantro (plz use all three – they’re so good together!)
- Serrano Peppers
- Chopped Peanuts
- Veggies –> like carrots, bell peppers, and cucumbers
- Protein –> like shrimp, tofu, chicken (optional)
- SAUCE PREP: Pulse the sauce ingredients together in a blender or food processor.
- NOODLE PREP: Cook your rice noodles by soaking them in cold water for about 30 minutes. When they’re softened, transfer to a pot of boiling water for just a minute or two before quickly draining again. *This is my preferred method because it prevents them from getting overly sticky.*
- VEG PREP: Mince the herbs, slice the serranos, and peel or julienne cut the vegetables.
- BOWL PREP: Toss the noodles (hot or cold! your choice, friend) with the sweet garlic lime sauce and all the other ingredients.
Original recipe from pinch of yum.