Topped with buttery fresh-baked croutons, here is a tomato soup that is anything but ordinary.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 3 to 4 tablespoons garlic, chopped
- 1 cup celery, chopped
- ½ cup carrot, peeled and cut into 5cm sticks
- 800g can crushed tomatoes
- 2 ½ cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1 loaf day-old bread, crusts removed
- ½ cup butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat; add onion and garlic and sauté until onion is translucent. Add celery and carrot; cook 5 more minutes. Add remaining ingredients and bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 1/2 hours or until thickened. Ladle soup into 4 bowls; top each serving evenly with Italian Croutons.
- Italian Croutons: Cube bread and place in a large plastic zipping bag; set aside. Combine butter and seasoning; pour over bread. Mix well; arrange bread cubes on an ungreased baking sheet. Bake at 220° for 10 minutes; turn bread cubes and bake 5 more minutes.
Original Recipe by My Recipes